Monday, November 06, 2006

Monday, November 06, 2006

East Maui volcano

Posted by Hippobean at 11:57 PM
Driving to Hana was my original plan. But since being here, I just couldnt handle any more emotions so I've decided to dedicate the morning to Haleakala. First order of business was to have Portuguese sausage and rice at McDonald. My favourable island breakfast. Since I was in Oahu last, there's no longer any guava juice at Hawaiian MickyDee. Shame! Holding another Portuguese sausage plate, the girl said 'another Portuguese', and I stepped up to the counter. Hee hee. Another Portuguese indeed! I sat outside, poured soya sauce over the sticky rice, cut the linguica into manageable bite sizes, and mixed them with the scrambled egg, and sipped my coffee. I could still hear the distant waves and smell the sea from where I was. That's truly paradise! With my iPod blasting, the road to Haleakala was filled with sugarcane plains, mountain views, then purest white clouds and absolutely blue sky above them. Truly paradise! At about 7000 ft the crater floor showed itself. Amazing red and amber colors top the cinder cones which once upon a time had been pyroclastic. No time for any serious hike down the crater and at a little over 10,000 ft on the summit, I was beginning to feel lightheaded with an imminent headache approaching. So I went back down to town. Last dinner on the island was at the Tommy Bahama's Tropical Grill in Wailea with Laura and Ben. The food was good. It would probably take another year at least before I came back and see them. Thank you Tom for the suggestion. Got an emotional high here but I needed it. Gosh, I love Maui!

haleakala
Haleakala crater


haleakala

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos