Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday, December 20, 2010

total lunar eclipse in winter solstice

Posted by Hippobean at 11:57 PM
When I went out around 9PM, the moon was full and bright.Back out again around 11:16PM, it was crescent.Out again at 11:36, it was covered by clouds. Waited in the cold till the clouds parted, and the moon was orangee/red and I snapped a few photos. Wished my camera had a more powerful zoom! Not much but as you can see, it was reddish brown. at one point when the clouds moved on, moono was bright and looked perfectly round and reddish. what an awesome sight! It was located just to the left and up from three stars of equal brightness and evenly spaced, the Orion's belt? Suddenly the sky was clear for just a few seconds and I saw a real bright star where the 3 stars were pointed to, Sirius? gosh, wish Tomaso was here to tell me! Did you wake up to see it? Hope it wasnt snowing too bad in Paris! Oops, Paris is _not_ in the western hemisphere, you're right, my bad. Just about missed the prime meridian. Didnt realized it's the first total lunar eclipse in 450 years that coincided with the winter solstice. No wonder Powerpoint killed my hard drive today!

See the images: 1 2

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos