Friday, November 02, 2012

Friday, November 02, 2012

Everest !

Posted by Hippobean at 11:00 PM

This morning J and I took the KTM to Mtn flight. We had the first row on Buddha Air, right next to the propellers. J wasnt happy as the propeller blocked the view. The flight was smoother than I've anticipated. They gave us each a map showing all the famous peaks with their names on it. Once in altitude, we could go to the cockpit and photograph Everest. I had the single seat on the right side. Once past the Himalyas, the plane turned to fly back and I was able to see the mountain range in plain view. Glorious Everest, Lhotse and Makalu. I've enjoyed the flight very much. This was what I came to Nepal for. Well worth getting up at 4:30AM. Bought a tshirt that says 'I didnt climb Everest but I touched it with my heart' for the rocket scientits. Then we had our second site seeing. Our local guide took us to the Annapurna area and we walked and walked through narrow alleys, filled with people, local shops selling meat and produce, old houses, cars and motorbikes, dirty dusty streets, small temples filled with pigeons. Reminded me of alleys in Hong Kong, except compared to Kathamandu, the alleys in HK
were clean and sane. Then we came to the famous Durbar Square. Not as impressive as I've expected. The temples looked asian with hindu statues and motifs. No one cared to visit the museum. I found nothing impressive in Kathmandu. We all had just wanted to get back to the sanctuary of our hotel, away from the noise, dust and traffic. We all lunched at the hotel bar next to the pool in peaceful tranquility. While the Brits sunbathed, I returned to my room to take a nap. I had wanted to venture out to experience a restaurant but ended up dining at the hotel again and had fish and chips this time. After the orderly and peacefulness of Bhutan, Kathmandu's vibrancy and confusion was just too much for the Hippo.


0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos