Saturday, July 23, 2005

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Maybe, I whispered ...

Posted by Hippobean at 11:29 AM
The morning found us back in Ginza shopping. I ate so much noodle during the week that my stomach had finally rebelled and I was determined not to stuff it anymore, but as usual, my lame will was succumbed to my watering mouth at the sight of all that gorgeous, colorful and tempting food at the basement of the department stores. I chewed on the fish cakes all morning long, with each one more delicious than the last. M. was quite content with her fruit gelatin and sticky rice scoops wrapped in tofu skin (even though she wanted the rice steaming, but the lady at the food counter wouldnt budge). We just sat on a bench on the pedestrian only Chuo-dori (they closed off the street in the afternoon) and munched. Riding back to Narita, we crossed Tokyo Bay (hm, did I miss it on the way into Tokyo?) and unexpectedly, the high rises and overpasses begged me to return to the city with no character. Maybe, I whispered. At Narita, while I was finishing the last of my fish cakes, the terminal suddenly swayed back and forth for a good full minute. Everyone just looked at one another and I got up from my seat and slowly backed away from the tall glass windows (I was watching a JAL take off!) and continued biting my snack. Then the terminal swung again. Now everyone was talking in Japanese. Nobody was sure if it was an earthquake or what. I wasnt too alarmed. It didnt shake or tremble like the ones on the west coast. Later I found out it was indeed an earthquake, 5.+ magnitude. Japan being unhappy that it didnt measure up to my expectation and high hopes, and wanted me back for a second chance to redeem itself? Maybe, I whispered!

2 comments :

Alexander S on 8/02/2005 3:25 AM said...

what, no pictures? I've been a-waiting up nights to see tokyo... and yes, kyoto is really nice, especially when you get lost in it and walk around for a day, dirt poor and cursing american express with every spare breath... death to american express! DEATH!

Hippobean on 8/02/2005 9:23 AM said...

Tokyo is _not_ very impressive. But wait till I post all my pics to my website. Give me some time ... I'm kinda lazy ya know!

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos