Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Maui No Ka Oi

Posted by Hippobean at 11:59 PM
14 years is a long time. As Island Air 1148 cut through Maui descending to Kahului, I could see Haleakala sprawling below me. The familiar tradewinds picked up and the Dash 8 37 seater bounced a little. Soon as I stepped down on Maui soil, I wanted to kiss the ground. Instead, I leaped in the air. I could not hold the joy inside me. I feel so much for this island. It was a clear day and behind the airport, the volcano shows itself plainly. "Today is a good day to drive to the summit" said Laura. Driving to the hotel, I saw my old carpets of sugarcane, moving with the wind. The smell, the sounds, the tastes, the wind, the humidity, the mountains, all reminded me of long ago. Drove to Wailea to window-shop and admire the new developments there. Later, Laura took me to the Maluaka beach where she and Ben got married. A secluded cove, with warm shallow water, few people, and little surf. I floated there on the clear sea, with alternating warm and cold undercurrents. On impulse, in the late afternoon, I drove to Lahaina with the glorious orange sun setting on my left and the Mauna Kahalawai (West Maui Mtns) on my right. I've forgotten how spectacularly beautiful this drive was. Lahaina Front st was packed with tourists. It was already dark by the time I reached it, and being alone, I didnt feel like staying for dinner. So it was a quick hello and goodbye. I just had to see it. That night sitting in my private lanai overlooking the Pacific, listening to the distant sound of the waves breaking upon the shore, I thought of him.

bird in engine
 Mauna Kahalawai
  (West Maui Mtns)

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos