Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

prototype and scriptaculous

Posted by Hippobean at 8:30 PM
How long has it been? Today I walked from the parking garage on 5th to Montgomery for my Javascript class at Academyx. As I crossed the streets, I paid special attention to the people hurrying to work. There was this girl holding a Starbuck's coffee cup with her name on it. There's this too obvious geek stuffed in a ill fitted shirt and trousers, leather shoes and showing signs of discomfort. One can tell they're computer geeks by the way they carry their laptop bags - swung across their chests, bouncing on their butts. They're not cut out for working in the office in the financial district. Oh, and the fashion, women in heels and pantyhose, sporting the latest fashion of well cut business dresses. I used to be one of them in my days working downtown. And men in suits with their fingers holding a cigarrette. You dont see many of those in the peninsula. OK, so it's all coming back to me. The sun shone warmly, very unusual for the city, as I waited for the light to change. The guy at Academyx led me to the wrong room and we waited in vain for the instructor to show up. He was double booked so the guy asked us to write down our next available block of 3 days so he can reschedule the class. That's when I realized I was in the wrong class. "I thought this was a 1 day class!" I said. No, it was a 3 day class for Actionscript. But I signed up for Javascript! So when I finally made it to the right class, it has already started. The British accented instructor was already building the DOM tree on the whiteboard when I entered the room. Not much lost there. She showed good knowledge of the scripting language and even had a good sense of UI. However, she didnt follow the material in the handout and just went her own way, showing us techniques that really matter. I was glad of that. I found a Specialty's sandwiches behind the TransAmerica building and had my lunch in the park next to it. Didnt even know such a park existed. Back to class and the labs were so easy I began to feel bored. Afterall I didnt need the class but a day out of the office and a chance to spend it in the city was a good break for me. For this sole reason I registered for the class. And today the weather was so fine. And suddenly I remembered what was like to work downtown and be part of the herd. And I almost missed those days. But nah, the commute, the traffic and the rush, the expensive lunches and parking. And the business attire. No, thank you, I dont miss it. I'm sticking to the suburbs!

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos