Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday, May 13, 2010

a 13 de Maio, na cova de Iria ...

Posted by Hippobean at 11:01 AM
o ceu aparece a virgin maria .... ave ave ave maria ...

awful song we had to sing when we were kids, back in the fantastic old colonial days ...

Today is the day the virgin mary appeared to 3 little shepherds at Fatima. My sister who was born in this month, was named after the virgin at Fatima. although the aparition might not have happened afterall, what those 3 little sheperds said about what the virgin told them about the world and all the predictions (yup end of the world stuff again) which sparkled a series of mysterious letters that the Vatican 'claims' to have stored in its deepest safes, were indeed quite interesting. The last letter was already revealed and open to the public, but did it really reveal all that the letter said? for those who loves mysteries and conspiracies (like the Hippo), this stuff can suck you right in ... hm, Dan Brown should take up this story ...

The Portuguese are very, very, I mean, VERY religious. By religious, it means roman catholic. And Fatima is an awesome site to visit (OMG, look at all those stalls selling religious stuff!!!! look at all that shopping). Anyone who's been there didnt buy a rosary? I have a gihugic one that I use to hang right above my bed in my bedroom (you guys have seen it remember?). and I even had a priest (father xavier, no kiddin) bless it. imagine that!

Fatima It's more touristy than anything now but you can still see pilgrims 'walking' on their knees (some with pads, some without), burning candles and praying. The Hippo grew up with this kinda of stuff (hey, my Mom still burns candle every month on the 13th) but I'm glad I've outgrown them. But looking back, it was fun, because it gave you a sense of belonging to a big family of all those who believe and do the 'catholic' things, and now I simply feel sorry for these people. But if believing helps them, then be it.

where exactly is the cove of Iria anyway? I dont think I've ever actually been there ...

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos