Sunday, September 05, 2010

Sunday, September 05, 2010

day 1 - 10,000ft and the beginning of altitude sickness

Posted by Hippobean at 11:59 PM
As usual we started out quite late. When we drove through Tioga Pass, fond memories flooded back. Tuolumne Meadows, Tenaya Lake and Lembert Dome came into view. 2 years ago we had a fantastic time in this area. I was surrounded by dear friends, lousy jokes and hearty laughs. This time we camped at Saddlebag Lake at 10,000ft. Clear view of the mountains which glowed in the late sun. We ate left over rice and beans, chips and miso soup for dinner, accompanied by a roaring fire. The night was cold and the ponding piercing headache caused by the high elevation prevented me from sleep all night. My 3 season sleeping bag topped by a light blanket, alternatively heated me up and froze me to death. I've never camped in such altitude before and I was quite miserable. However, the morning brought relief with 400mg of gel caps ibuprofen and a clear view of the blue blue lake. We woke up with the smell of smoke. The valley and hills seemed to be shrouded in smoke, but not from the campfires. Later we've learned it was from the 2 fires in Sequoia park.

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos