Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday, January 19, 2018

cooking class

Posted by Hippobean at 11:02 PM
From Huế to Da Nang was about a short ride of 130Km. I've only ever stayed at the airport in Da Nang on my way home from my thai/laos/cambodia trip, 40 mins at the airport. Da Nang is a very modern city with wide streets and big name hotel chains on the beach front. There was no one on the beach. The sky was still grey but air humid and hot. So far I havent seen the sun in vietnam yet. The Cham museum was a delight of buddha and hindu statues, altars and pedestals, steles and tablets with Cham's writing and decorative works taken from the Cham temples. truly enjoyed this museum. Lunch was the typical famous quang noodles that were thick and wide rice noodles in an unique sauce, not quite a soup, and I chose fish for protein. Although not hungry and stomach not totally well to accept normal food, the noodles were so good, I ate the whole bowl. Strangely I felt better after the meal. We next visited the marble mountain with bhuddist temples and tons of caves. Up there we could get nice views of da nang and the surrounding area. Half hour later we arrived at our hotel the Silk hotel in Hội An. very new, with rooms and villas and 2 swimming pools. Rooms equipped with the usual southeast asian hotel room amenities and the bathroom modern and with a rain shower. However, we were given rooms on the first floor next to the lobby. I dont accept first floor hotel rooms so I've asked to change to a room on a higher floor. Was shown another identical room on the 2nd floor. however, the sliding door opened to a hallway. no way I was staying in a hotel without a window to the outside and for 3 nights. So I've insisted to get another room. the hotel was full that day (their usual response) so I had to stay in the 1st floor room and change to a higher room the next day. Although the room was very nice, the window opened up to a low wall with plants on it and the room was dark. I dont usually sign up for cooking classes but since it was vietnamese and therefore easy cooking, I've decided to give it a try. The chef came to the hotel to pick us up and took us to the market to show us the ingredients. Then we went to his restaurant and learned how to make turmeric pancakes, papaya salad, chicken spring rolls and mackerel wrapped in banana leaf. We tasted our own cooking and mine wasnt bad. The chef also showed us how to use a special shredder/peeler/cutter utensil that was a plastic rectangle with rows of sharp round metal holes to shred and flat metal edge to cut. I bought 2, just a dollar each. My first cooking class, no major disaster, kinda fun. We walked back to our hotel and the streets after 8PM werent busy like in hanoi. The night on the first floor was noisy with the hotel restaurant just under my room in the open basement, and rowdy hotel guests parading on the hallways and the elevator right next to my room. hope tomorrow night I'd get a better night sleep in a quieter room.

Da Nang photos:

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos