Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Merely peeping toms

Posted by Hippobean at 11:20 PM
It never seizes to amaze me that in the early morning I was in foggy Tirana (we had to depart the hotel at 3AM to catch the plane at 6), then in the late morning I was in Munich and hours later in the afternoon in sunny London. The phone rang and rang and then the sound of someone dropping the luggage down the stairs. It was 1:30AM and it woke me up. I had gone to bed around 10:30 and had a 2:30 wake up call. By 3 we were all waiting for the ride to Nene Teresa airport which I've never seen in daylight. The aerial view of London was sunny and now I regret I didnt take any pictures. When I landed in SFO, it was 27C. My luggage never showed up. Welcome home Hippo! Gosh, I love these trips.

I didnt care much for Bulgaria but Albania stole my heart. What I saw was beyond the litter on the streets and the broken roads. What I saw was the smile and honesty of its people, their tolerance, the deep history and the struggle to catch up to a modern civilized and free 21st century. But a mere few days was not enough to really understand the country. It takes more than a lifetime to understand people and culture. Like Kathleen said we shouldnt boast of knowing the country just because we've been here; we were only Peeping Toms.

Museum facade-Tirana

0 comments :

 

HippoBlog Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani- Vinte e poucos